- Couples casting kit – all you need to create amazing holding hands casts in any combination
- Ideal for 2/3 hands – the perfect gift for family & friends, and comes with full instructions
- Contains alginate moulding powder and plaster of paris
- Changes colour when setting – easy to use
- Comes with a full set of casting tools – paintbrush, wooden pick, PVA glue and latex-free gloves
Couples Casting Kit contains:
- 1 x Chromatic Alginate 900g
- 1 x Plaster of Paris 1.5kg
- 1 x Casting Bucket
- 1 x Set of Cast Tools
- 1 x Instructions
Step 1: Making the mould using Chromatic Alginate
Full instructions are included with the kit. Please read carefully before starting the casting. IMPORTANT: Use cold water if this is your first time, as this gives you more setting time.
Before making the mould, practice placing hands into the supplied container. You may want to get an additional person to help. For best results, oil the hands with olive oil or petroleum jelly, as this will make them easier to remove from the mixture. Hair in particular can be troublesome if not oiled.
Step 2: Pouring the Plaster of Paris into the mould to create the Cast
Step 3: Revealing & finishing your new Cast – this is the exciting bit!
- Do not seal the cast until it has fully dried. Allow 5-7 days for a full holding hands cast.
- Lay a plastic bag, bin liner, or newspapers down to protect any surfaces.
- Practice your chosen hand position a few times into the container, filled with water.
- Take your time. Read through these instructions once or twice before starting.
- Use a thermometer if you want to be accurate with the water temperature.
- Pour the mixed plaster slowly, making sure to tilt the container from side to side.
- For troublesome toddlers, bribe them with their favourite treats if they hold still for a couple of minutes
- Throw any leftover mixed alginate or plaster away – don’t try and wash it down the sink!
- Try a silver, gold or bronze paint to finish your cast – these colours usually look best.
IMPORTANT: To avoid problems with the chromatic alginate setting too fast, please use really cold water if you are new to casting. A few people have experienced problems with the mixture setting too quick, so we have created a video below alongside the full instructions. Using cold water straight from the tap should give you 2-3 minutes of time to mix and place your hands into the container. Practice on a small amount of alginate first to be sure.